I’m a huge fan of comedy. For years, I’ve gone to open mics to see the very newest talent work out their material in front of largely indifferent audiences of fellow comics waiting to do their 5 minutes. I’m often the only non-comedian there.
The payoff: I’ve found some great comedians you guys need to know about:
- Ryan O’Toole. This guy is truly from the Lenny Bruce school of comedy. He says what he wants and dang if it isn’t hilarious.
- Alexx Starr. I’ve rarely seen anyone hold an audience as powerfully on stage, including major national acts.
- Mike O’Rourke. I’ve watched him do hours of material, seemingly from nowhere, and he kept me laughing the whole time.
What comedians should the world know about? Leave it in the comments!
Bonus video: Impeach DeBlasio
Lee Syatt may not be famous (yet), but he’s a hilarious comedian. Unfortunately, he’s also well over 300 pounds at 5’4″. Lately, I’ve been enjoying his new podcast What Was I Thinking?, where he is detailing his efforts to get in shape.
I find myself laughing hysterically walking down the street as people distance themselves from me for reasons far beyond COVID. If you’d like to do the same, check out his podcast and also his new Patreon, where Lee works with his brother (who happens to be a noted personal trainer) to get healthy.
As someone who once had many of the same problems as Lee, I wish I’d have had this show when I was losing weight!
If we ever needed a laugh, this is the year. Lately, I’ve been relaxing with videos by two different very funny men:
- James Blackwood – Raccoon Whisperer, a nice man from Canada who feeds dozens of raccoons hot dogs in his back yard nightly. They love hot dogs, cookies, and grapes, and even let him pet them! Sure to bring a smile to your face.
- Uncle Joey’s Joint by my favorite comedian, Joey Diaz. Not for everyone and certainly not safe for work. But the laughs and his inspirational messages and life philosophy have brightened a challenging year for me. If you’re all in, as I am, go to Joey’s Patreon, where for $3 a month you can get an exclusive podcast (The Joey Diaz Project, highly recommended), daily motivational messages, and more.
Leave your recommendations in the comments for funny videos, comedians, or anything else that makes you smile. I look forward to discovering new things! Stay strong everyone!
Bonus: I’ve been listening to this background music channel regularly during periods of focused work, including while writing this post. I find myself calmer and more productive for it. Give it a listen!