These last few years, nothing gets me in the mood for Christmas more than music. It gives me the warm feeling of the holidays that we need more than ever this year. I love listening to Christmas songs in the mornings while making breakfast or while decorating the tree.
I grew up with the classics: Silent Night, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, etc. Beautiful as they are, I’m mostly listening to more recent, pop Christmas songs these days.
Check these out today while you finish up your work or buy those final gifts!
- Do They Know Its Christmas – Band Aid. This one really reminds me to be grateful for everything I have. Last year, I heard it playing from a house here. That’s a happy memory.
- Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt. Cheeky and hilarious. Eartha had a truly beautiful voice.
- Driving Home for Christmas – Chris Rea. This makes me think of long drives in the snow in Wisconsin to see my mom on Christmas. I find the YouTube video linked here, with the footage of the car driving in the snow, really adds to the experience for me.
- Jingle Bell Rock. Always makes me think of Home Alone, which I was just watching last night! It’s become my favorite Christmas movie.
- All I Want for Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey. This seems to be the most popular Christmas song of them all these days, and I can’t disagree! Her vocal range is incredible.
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby. We need at least one old standard on the list! This is my favorite. Although frankly, I could live without snow. 🙂
- Last Christmas – Wham. Poppy and cheesy in the best possible way.
- Underneath the Tree – Kelly Clarkson. Best Christmas song of the last 10 years. I think this will join the Mariah Carey song as a modern classic.
And if you’ve hit your limit on Christmas songs for the day, try this jam I put on while folding laundry last night. I wished I had more socks to fold!
Tell me what your favorite Christmas songs are in the comments. Merry Christmas!
Photo: Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, New York City